Red Deer, Alberta, CA
|Date Posted||Apr 21, 2014
|Experience Level(s)||Mid-Level, Senior
|Job Type(s)||Permanent, Full Time
|Education Level(s)||University - Bachelors, College - Diploma
Team and Location:
Information Technology Services – Red Deer, Alberta
Parkland is Canada’s largest independent marketer and distributor of fuels, managing a nationwide network of sales channels for retail, commercial, wholesale, and home heat. Through our operations we deliver competitive fuel products and serve communities through local operators who care. We are publicly-traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol “PKI” and have revenues exceeding $4 billion. Our family of brands includes: Bluewave Energy, Columbia Fuels, Elbow River Marketing, Fas Gas Plus, Island Petroleum, Race Trac, and Sparling's Propane.
Our growth strategy is built on acquisitions. In 2013, we have acquired several companies, including Elbow River Marketing which has a large rail fleet of over 1,000 rail cars and Sparlings Propane which sells and distributes propane in the Ontario market.
Reporting to the Infrastructure Manager, Technology Services, the Network/SQL Administrator is responsible for managing the network infrastructure to ensure high levels of availability and security of the supported business requirements. The Network/SQL Administrator will participate in the planning and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure network provisioning and maintenance is consistent with company goals, industry best practices and regulatory requirements.
- Supports existing/new network infrastructure through configuring, maintaining (monitoring) and implementing proven technologies pertaining to network connectivity and communications. This may include after-hours support.
- Works as part of an efficient team providing accurate and timely communication to ensure a professional level of customer service is delivered.
- Provides multi-tier support for customers reporting problematic network and/or telephony service concerns, including but not limited to resource access and physical connectivity for local and remote locations.
- Ensures a secure and stable network is in place to facilitate the requirements of the business for day to day operations. This is performed by utilizing existing security devices such as a firewall/router/etc. and is also a key factor for planning and implementing high availability or disaster recovery solutions.
- Resolves network and telephony issues by reviewing the the issue at hand, troubleshoot accordingly, and in some cases schedule a follow up call/meeting with the customer.
- Works in collaboration (on projects and acquisitions) with other members of the infrastructure team in the design, implementation and maintenance of systems, hardware, and software.
- Ensures proper logging and documentation of network equipment including physical and logical diagrams, knowledge base solutions, regular log reviews, status reports and various technology road maps.
- Supply Good Practice solutions through research, investigation, proof of concept, and documentation to meet identified Parkland standards
- Protects organization's value by keeping information secure and confidential.
- Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for assigned requests and exploring options that may add value to job accomplishments.
- Troubleshoot SQL Server service outages as they occur, including after-hours and weekends
- Configure SQL Server monitoring utilities to eliminate false alarms
- As new systems are brought in-house, evaluate and recommend which technologies and architecture are best suited for the solution
- Install and configure new SQL Servers as required
- Proactively determines the most effective ways to increase performance and maintain system reliability including hardware purchases, software upgrades, server configuration changes, or index/query changes
- Maintains current and accurate documentation for the company’s database environment
Qualifications & Skills:
- University Degree or diploma in Computer Science
- ITIL Foundations certification would be considered an asset
- CCNA would be considered an asset
- Riverbed experience would be considered an asset
- Mitel experience would be considered an asset
- MCP or MCITP in SQL would be considered an asset
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a progressive and responsible role as a network administrator
- Familiarity with MS SQL Administration
- Ability to support our network and database infrastructure through research, documentation and troubleshooting the related support requests
- Ability to provide guidance on architecture and its related processes that impact the sustainment and the growth of the enterprise application
- Must possess superior oral and written communications skills
- Capacity to analyze and comprehend issues and trouble shoot to increase efficiency and reduce down time or outages
- Highly analytical and driven to identify new opportunities or solutions
- Outgoing and energetic personality with strong interpersonal and team skills
This is a tremendous opportunity for a dynamic, ambitious and enthusiastic individual looking for a career with a vibrant and growth oriented company. If you are up to the challenge we want to hear from you!
Our preferred method of application is online at www.parkland.ca
|How to Apply
|Applications are being accepted until May 05, 2014